The 2013 Florida Stone Crab Season Begins Tuesday October 15th. Get Your Boat’s Trailer Ready
Happy Trailer Rentals, Boat Trailer Rental and Boat Storage, is excited about the 2013 Stone Crab Season! And why wouldn’t we be? This seasonal, Florida delicacy is Awesome in many ways. Not only is catching them fun, eating them is sublime! Enjoy this light, sweet, and tasty crab meat with your favorite cold beverage and you are truly in for a treat. However, as last year’s harvest numbers were low across Florida we want to make sure that everyone adheres to the “One Claw Rule“. The One Claw Rule suggests that harvesters only remove one claw, instead of two. This un-written rule of the sea gives the Stone Crabs a higher chance of survival. Statistics show the mortality rate is 47% for doubly-amputated vs. 28% for single amputee crabs So… before your head into the water this season here are a few tips to remember.
What You Need To Know
- No females with eggs
- Recreational fishermen can have a daily bag limit of one gallon of claws per person or two gallons per vessel, whichever is less. I
- only take just one claw from each crab, and then return it to the water, as the claw will grow back over time (12-18 months).
- Stone Crab claws must be at least 2 inches in length in order to keep.
- Unlawful to use any device that can puncture, crush, or injure the crab body, such as spears, grains, grabs, hooks etc.
- A maximum of 5 stone crabs traps per person
Get all the facts about Florida Stone Crab Season by visiting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, or call us at 786-728-9988
Need a boat trailer for your Stone Crab trip to the Keys or the west coast? Rent one from us today. We have a wide selection available at the lowest rates in town. View Trailers.